In Niles we have an undeniable lack of representation in our local government. While #SaveNilesLibrary is our first campaign in response to the immediate threat to our library, we know the issue is much bigger. We will strive to not just bring more folks to the table, but build a better table. It is the foundation our campaigns will be built upon. This work will ensure that we won’t just save our library, but restore, and protect it into the future by addressing the underlying root issues.
Several great articles came out this week about the attack on our Niles-Maine District Library (NMDL). While the upcoming rally has been getting a lot of local attention, a broader political lens is being applied in pieces on Bookriot and elsewhere. Visit our growing collection to read more!
By now we hope everybody has checked off as many of the items on the action list as they can. The petition is wrapping up very soon so please be sure to sign and share the petition today! Petition: We Support Niles-Maine District Library Employees! Thanks!
Rally and Budget Hearing
Our first rally is Tuesday, July 20th right before the library’s budget hearing! We’ve been very busy preparing. Organizers have been canvassing neighborhoods, businesses, and events throughout the community with flyers for the 7-20 rally and spreading awareness. It has become crystal clear that our community loves the library and folks are appalled by the situation. Please RSVP, come out, and send a clear message that we will Save Niles Library! A few reminders:
- Tuesday, 7/20, 5pm at NICO park at the corner of Keeney & New England in Niles
- Bring a sign, get crafty!
- Dress for the weather, use sunscreen if needed and bring water
- Everybody is invited (please let us know if you have accessibility considerations)
- Around 6:15pm a march is planned for the short route between the park and the library
- Budget hearing begins at 6:30pm at NMDL, 6960 W. Oakton. Upon entering you can sign up to make public comments in-person (emailed comments are not being accepted by the board for this meeting, please let us know of any accessibility considerations), or after all of the signed-up commenters if you would like to speak there will be an opportunity for those who didn’t sign up.
- Comments at this budget hearing are limited to the subject of the budget, must be addressed to the board as a whole, and can be cut off if deemed repetitive. Full details here: https://www.nileslibrary.org/board-trustees
Regular Board Meeting 7-21
Public comments are not limited to discussing the budget, though this is the meeting where they are scheduled to vote on the budget.
Here’s where you can always find NMDL board meeting agendas and Zoom links for remote viewing.
Niles-Maine District Library Meetings
Want to help spread the word about our #SaveNilesLibrary campaign with a yard sign? Here’s the request form:
#SaveNilesLibrary Yard Sign Order Form
Thank you all for being part of this community movement to make Niles a place all can be included.