#SaveNilesLibrary is a campaign of the Niles Coalition. Our goal is to save the Niles-Maine District Library, which is under attack by a bloc of hostile board trustees: Joe Makula, Carolyn Drblik,
Olivia Hanusiak, and Suzanne Schoenfeldt. These trustees took power in spring 2021 as a result of an extremely low-turnout election, creating a new anti-library majority. Although these trustees ran on transparency and fiscal responsibility, their policies are reckless, corrupt, and an attack on the library’s mission.
Makula, Drblik, Hanusiak, and Schoenfeldt have proposed a budget for the new fiscal year that makes drastic cuts to staff, materials, and services. These trustees are eliminating outreach to schools and nursing homes, reducing library hours, slashing staff training and salaries, and even getting rid of cleaning crews. Before these trustees took power, our library was consistently ranked among the best in the country. Their cuts are so severe we will no longer meet some of the state standards for public libraries. A good overview is available here: Divided Niles Library Board tentatively approves $1.5 million in budget cuts, reduced building hours
Find more information on the issues and a list of organizations and public figures speaking out about the cuts to the library here:
Join us in defending our library:
Read more of our blog updates below:
- [EMAIL] Youth Coalition BuildingHello there neighbor! We have some awesome news to share, with opportunities you or people you know may be interested in. Check it out and please […]
- [EMAIL] One Down, Three To Go!*BIG NEWS* on our Niles Coalition #SaveNilesLibrary campaign! Yesterday was a new day. Yesterday we woke up knowing that on 8-18-2021 the anti-library bloc of the […]
- [EMAIL] #SaveNilesLibrary All Day Every DayWe hope everyone is enjoying the last days of summer. While the summer winds to a close we’re just warming up! After the big #SaveNilesLibrary rally […]
- [EMAIL] Post-Rally Update: Our First Win!On Wednesday night, we won an important victory. Library board trustee Olivia Hanusiak, who originally supported a widely-criticized austerity budget, broke with the majority and proposed […]
- [EMAIL] Rally to Save Niles LibraryHi Neighbor! In Niles we have an undeniable lack of representation in our local government. While #SaveNilesLibrary is our first campaign in response to the immediate […]
- [EMAIL] July 20 Action Plan to Save Niles LibraryHi Neighbor, We have a small Niles Coalition update with an important #SaveNilesLibrary plan to join. Check it out! Niles Coalition We have a new logo! […]
- More InfoPeople and organizations that have spoken out against the budget and actions of the Trustees: East Maine School District 63 Board of Education Dr. Scott Clay, […]
- Resist, Resist!While the anti-library bloc of Trustees Carolyn Drblik, Joe Makula, Susan Schoenfeldt, & Olivia Hanusiak have been scheming amongst themselves for quite some time and continue […]
- [ACTION ITEM] AFSCME Petition⚠️ ACTION ITEM ⚠️Please sign this petition from AFSCME Council 31. We Support Niles-Maine District Library Employees! Tell the Niles-Main District Library Board of Trustees to […]
- [EMAIL] Get Off the Internet![Niles Coalition] Solidarity Card Events Like the amazing activist, grassroots organizer, and educator Mariame Kaba says: “It isn’t true that ‘noone is doing X’. In fact, […]
- [EMAIL] We Knew This Was ComingThe lessons we’re learning from the #SaveNilesLibrary campaign have been informing the organizational structure of the Niles Coalition. We’ve been networking and making so many new […]
- #LoveTheDoveWe are not OK. During the June 18, 2021 Special Board Meeting the anti-library bloc (Carolyn Drblik, Olivia Hanusiak, Suzanne Schoenfeldt, & Joe Makula) forced the […]
- Library Unionizes, Fight ContinuesIn the month of June quite a lot has happened already, lots of wins and updates!
- A New ProposalWe have a new development regarding the corrupt contract the Niles-Maine District Library Board railroaded in. As you may know, recently we launched a letter-writing campaign […]
- ACTION ALERT 6/14 & 6/16/2021The library is getting cut up, here’s some opportunities for action.
- [EMAIL] Niles Coalition Progress & #SaveNilesLibrary Action AlertWe’re so excited about all of the support and interest from those of you in the community who’ve signed up for our NilesCoalition mailing list! If […]
- Reject the Corrupt Contract!Here’s a #SaveNilesLibrary action you can take right away!
- [EMAIL] #SaveNilesLibrary Update: 5-24-2021 Board MeetingHello World! Bet you’re here to keep tabs on the Niles Coalition’s #SaveNilesLibrary campaign, and that’s SUPER awesome! Thanks for signing up! We formed as a […]
- Update: Library Special Board Meeting 5-24-2021Thank you to all of the community members who came out to bear witness to and express their concerns at last night’s extremely long Special Meeting […]
- ACTION ALERT 5/24/2021Please join us on Monday May 24th 6:30pm and the Niles-Maine District Library! Read more about the issues here.